Pages

Monday, July 21, 2014

Tutorial : How To Edit Microsoft Word Clip Art

 One of the biggest ways I save money while scrapbooking is by making my own stickers and embellishments! These can get very expensive at the craft store. Especially if you want to add texture and dimension with them. I like to use Microsoft Word clip art instead of buying expensive stickers! The library is pretty extensive and I find almost any image I ever look for! Here is a tutorial describing how I edit the clip art to match my scrapbook colors.
 
First of all, if you plan to use Microsoft Word to design your layouts, you will need to change the page size to the size of the paper you will use in your scrapbook. (Typically 12"x12") If you are only using this tutorial to edit clip art and not to design your layouts, it is not necessary to change the paper size. Click the tab that says "Page Layout", click "Size" and a drop box will appear. Choose your paper size. On my version of word, 12x12 is not listed so I select "More Paper Sizes..." at the bottom.
 
 
Enter the dimensions you want. I entered 12" by 12". Select OK.
 
 
To open the clip art library, Click the "Insert" Tab, click "Clip Art". A Library toolbox will appear on the right side of your document. Search for the picture you want.
 
 
I typed "Baby Toy". make sure "illustrations" is selected in the "Results Should Be:" drop box. You can also select "Pictures" or "All", but I prefer the illustrations for stickers I make. Click on an image you like and it should open on your page. Right click in the image and select "Edit Picture". Some clip art files are not editable and the option to edit will be greyed out. If this happens to you, try another picture. I believe most of the illustrations are editable though! 
 
 
On my version of word, a pop up box usually appears asking if you want to convert the image to a drawing object. Click "Yes".
 
 
A box will appear around your image and each of the little shapes that make up your image are now selectable. You can click on any of these shapes to move, delete, or change the size. Right click on them to change the fill color and outline color. On some images, the shapes are so small that it's hard to tell which one you have selected. If you make a mistake, use the "Undo" option. Zoom in as close as you need to.
 
 
I deleted the purple background shape and the sparkle shapes, and I changed the colors to match the page in my scrapbook I plan to use it on. Play with it a little- you can select anywhere in the rainbow box and drag the arrow up and down the lightness bar- have fun! You can also click the "Standard" tab and click from a section of other colors.

 
When you are happy with your newly designed image, click and drag to select every shape that makes up your picture.
 
 
Right click on any shape and move your cursor down to "Group", Then click "Group". Be sure to click on one of the shapes , if you miss- it will deselect everything. Then you can just click and drag again.
 
 
Now all of the shapes have become one complete image! Right click this new image
 and click "Copy".
 
 
You can now paste your newly edited image anywhere within word!  Click on the grey box around your drawing object to delete it. Print them on cardstock to make embellishments for your scrapbook!
 
 
I haven't tried this yet, but maybe you can add glitter!! I am sure you can paint on a little Elmer's glue and sprinkle glitter on, but in the near future I plan to try clear glitter fingernail polish and maybe a glitter spray paint or mod podge.
Happy editing!! :)
 
Coming soon - Tutorial describing how I turn the printed clip art into stickers.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment